OK -
I have sent you a number of my drawings under the heading Schrag Canvas. When people ask me things like: "Who influences your drawings?" "What 'style' is your artwork?" I respond, quite truthfully, - "I don't know. Sometimes I see a another thing - painting, sculpture, piece of a building that I like and "remake it" into one of my drawings. Other times the images just sort of spring to mind and glasses or faces or flowers just seem to grow on the page. I often claim to be a "doodler" since many of my drawings had their roots in just doodling. I dunno."
However, I never thought that genetics entered the picture - until my older daughter sent me an image that her daughter - my 10-year old granddaughter - had drawn. Yeah, yeah I know. Doting grandparents can witness some action of their progeny and see greatness, by squinting their eyes or filtering their hearing aids they perceive what they desire - not what is actually there. Or - "she has your eyes, Uncle Jake's hair, Grandma's dimples." We see what we want. Some evidence that our "lineage" will persist - perhaps even achieving greatness.
But sometimes persistence is enough. Consider these two images:
No comments:
Post a Comment