Thursday, October 1, 2026

Schrag Canvas: Both And . . .

Hi -

In a previous post - Sometimes First Drafts Work - I closed by posing the question "Should I go ahead and do the big version  or move on to something new. Well, one of Christine's favorite sayings is "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing." So I did both.

Here is the big version of Five Faces."   You can jump back and forth with the first drafts version to see if you can tell the difference. Of course the big version is bigger, 15"x10.5." While the first draft is 10.75'x7.75." Other than that you can pretend it is one those "How Are These Two Pictures Different" puzzle. And no, I don't have an answer to that.




In the moving on to something different column we have this yet unnamed image. The "mask faces" seemed a bit constrained. While obviously I went freeform within the borders of the masks there were borders. First there were the outlines of the masks and within the masks there were eyes, noses and lips - that I chose to leave as eyes, noses and lips. In the unnamed image I decided to relax and let the images suggest themselves - and so we have my standard faces, bottles, glasses and flowers but in a bit larger frame - 11"x15." 




After drawing in those images I engaged in the formal artistic method called "scribbling." In this highly sophisticated method you take a smaller gauge maker and scribble all over the drawing. A rather random process which creates some patterns which I find interesting and playful. Applying color to the patterns is one of those times in which the markers are full partners in the decision making.  This image is obviously in early stages because I was a several hours into it before I thought to send it to you. 

My bad. But I will try to be better about keeping you up to date with the process. 

1 comment: