Monday, December 1, 2014

Restlessness

.
Restless

Considering the fact that the little hand 
(If we still had clocks with hands)
Has now nudged past three,
And the rosy-fingered dawn is probably
Stuck somewhere out over the Mediterranean,
That seems to capture it.

I am content with the understanding
I have come to with the Universe.
Foster Harmony.
Enable Beauty.
Distill Complexity.
Oppose Harm.
Got it. I'm trying.

But the itch I cannot scratch is the one
That moves that agreement forward.
Being no longer willing, or perhaps likely,
To wait the decades necessary 
To observe success or confirm failure;
The task of instilling curiosity 
In students who could be my grandchildren
Has lost its allure.

So, in lieu of my life’s work - what?

Currently I take my greatest pleasure
From drawing fanciful abstractions
While listening to whatever musical genre
Captures my inclination of the moment.
But the serious rules governing mature society
Create long noses down which
Such endeavors are observed.

Yet around me those same pinched nostrils
Attend with “all due respect” to “goals and plans”
Both “long term” and “interim”
That have time and time again
“Turned slowly unto dust.”

I have grown tired,
Not simply of feeling dusty,
But also of pretending
That it is important to be thus.

So again, in lieu of my life’s work - what?

At the moment just restlessness.
Still, I take some degree of comfort
In having snared this particular bit of lightening 
In its appropriate bottle.
Perhaps with it thus suspended
I will discover ways to bend it to
A more harmonic path.



Fiddlesticks 2
.

No comments:

Post a Comment