Sunday, March 12, 2017

Finding Home

.

In Rocky Mountain High, John Denver sings of "coming home to a place he'd never been before."  Denver and co-author Mike Taylor seem to be echoing the gentle, poetic notion that you can "come home" to a place where you were not born, nor had you ever lived. You look around, you take a deep breath and wonderfully, everything just feels right. You are home. 

I don't doubt that.  It must be almost two decades ago that we hired a young woman with the ink barely dry on her Ph.D. from the University of Utah. She was a western gal, through and through. However, not long after joining our faculty she made her first visit to Ocracoke Island on the Outer Banks. Upon returning she declared that she had "come home." Nothing she has done since would contradict that assertion. So again, I do not question the notion that one can "come home to a place you've never been before." I am just jealous. 

I have lived in Raleigh since 1981 - so 36 years. Both my daughters were born here. My professional life is defined by my years at NC State. Still, it doesn't really feel like "home" in the mystical sense of Denver's paean to the Rocky Mountains. Don't get me wrong, it has been, and continues to be, a nice ride. It just doesn't have the spiritual, transcendent "home" feeling that Denver ascribes to his mountains. No place does. But that is probably my fault. I may have set my sights a bit high, or perhaps in the wrong direction altogether. 

You see, the events that define a Denveresque sense of "home" for me are not so much cases of where, as they are of when. Scattered throughout my life are moments of intense harmony, when everything feels perfect, when I am "home." We, as spiritual creatures, have a tendency to turn the places where those harmonic moments occur into sacred spaces.  So we have shrines to which we make pilgrimages. "Home" in Denver's sense turns that notion upside down. "Home" becomes a semi-sacred place where harmonic moments occur more frequently than anywhere else in the world. In Denver's world, you do not travel to the shrine. The shrine is the home. I simply have not found mine. 

Those moments that do seem to manifest a Denveresque kind of "home" for me do not share a common locale. Many are harmonic moments that I recall from my childhood, and I realize that I tend remember those events through rose-colored synapses, perhaps even to the point of bending historical fact to fit the tenets of Distilled Harmony. Still, to "come home to a place I've never been before," I would have to encounter a place that would echo those recalled harmonies. 

For example, my memories of rainy days on the front porch in Springfield, Ohio demand that "home" would need to be rainy - like this:

Rain

It is a gentle, cleansing rain.
The air is softer for it. 
The acrylic carved landscape 
Fades aptly to watercolor. 
Insects fight its somnolent call 
To buzz and bumble apace. 
I find myself stirred not so much to sleep, 
But to its less insistent cousin, 
A quiet nap.

Drops are interrupted  
High in the canopy. 
Dancing off leaves  
They gather in crooks and crannies 
Until they overflow  
Into bark's craggy channels 
And dance a zig-zag path  
To the forest floor.

It is a softly soaking rain
Filling the valley at lambing. 
The bright blush of motherhood  
Is rinsed away in rills among the clover, 
Trickling down to brooks, then streams, 
To rivers that lead to the distant imagining  
That is the sea. 

But then some magic moments in the donkey pasture above Clearwater Ranch in Philo, California demand it be sunny - like this:

The Meadow

If you lie 
On your back 
And hold very still 
With your eyes 
On the blue  
Bowl above, 
You may hear 
A quiet sort  
Of curious buzz, 
Preceding  
The funniest 
Bumblingest  
Bee 
Who bumps 
From flower to flower 
Before disappearing  
Back into the sky 
Trailing her buzzing 
Behind her. 

A ladybug eyes 
An Everest of grass 
And slowly  
Begins her ascent. 
Upon claiming  
The peak 
She spreads  
Spotted wings 
And soars off to 
A sheltering tree. 
Thus she avoids 
Toasty fates 
For her brood 
And decades of 
Deep therapy. 

The mockingbird  
Knits  
A complete  
Symphony  
With songs stolen 
From here  
And from there, 
That echo about 
In the morning's  
Soft light 
Accompanying  
The sweet  
Scented air.

Nowhere is sunlight 
Transformed 
Into life 
More magically  
Than 
In a meadow,  
In the morning.

Perhaps you see my problem. It seems that there are folks lucky enough to have a particular place they call home. A physical space where everything feels right. The mountains, the sea, even a particular structure on a particular piece of land. Home is right there. They can point to it.

For me home is in my head. 

"Lucky you!” I hear you saying. "You carry “home” around with you. Wherever you go, you are home.”  True to a certain extent.  Home is up there between my ears.  But strangely I can’t always get “there” from “here.”  That transcendent space of “inner peace” has a way of playing hide-and-seek with us.  "Ha! Ha! Here I am between your ears but you can’t find me for love nor money!”  

I keep looking.  Reike, meditation, a big sheet of blank paper with lots of colorful markers, calm and gentle music, fighting the inclination to enter into debates with those seeking victory or angry affirmation instead of insight.  All the time carrying “home” around between my ears. From the outside it looks a lot like napping, but inside - whoa! We’re climbing the Himalayas in here! 
.

1 comment:

  1. Sir Laurens van der Post spoke (I think it was in his book about his friendship with Jung) of discovering that he had different "souls" - parts of himself that connected deeply not just to his birthland of Africa, but also to Japan and (I think, been a while since I read this) to Switzerland.

    For me... I have suffered deep homesickness for where I was born (Zimbabwe), yet in honesty I cannot say I felt utter HOME when I lived there as a child. As a "white colonial" in Africa you grow up singing Christmas carols about things you haven't a clue about, like snow and robins. It leaves you.. disjointed? Fragmented?

    Leaving that childhood "home" was brutal-painful and the longing to return is still there to a degree. I wrote a poem about that in 2000. I wrote it to let go and it went viral, which was a shock. Also went viral as "anonymous", which has been a pain on-off for the past 17 years.

    Beyond that... I came to Scotland 15 years ago and was hit in the gut by a sense of HOME, but that was in large part due to returning to a British culture, British products in the supermarket, etc, which is what I grew up with in Rhodesia before it became Zimbabwe.

    But there is more... for me there has been an altogether unexpected sense of HOME in Scotland - a past life connection. I wasn't much of a believer in reincarnation until I found myself standing on a beach that I had dreamed of standing on... as a shipwrecked man, big sailing ship on the rocks and all of us survivors in clothing that looked Elizabethan. The dream had haunted me for 20 or more years before I came on the EXACT beach in Scotland. I went home utterly stunned, did some google searching ...

    I found out that the beach had witnessed several shipwrecks when the Spanish Armada tried to surprise England by going the long way around Scotland to attack from the North-West.
    Some of the surviving Spanish sailors never left - there are Scots up north with Spanish surnames. Seems I was one of them!

    Since then I've become more aware of the places that call me. There's one place in Scotland that calls like a hunger. I went there once and it hit me with such intensity I burst into tears. For several years afterwards the need to get back there was like a hunger. I've only managed one return trip and it was not as intense, but still fairly powerful. Is it HOME? I don't know. I still have no idea why this place bothers me so much - it's Rosslyn chapel, which sounds pretty cheesy now, post the Da Vinci Code, but I went there long before the book or movie.

    Thank you for shaking up my brain. I really enjoyed waffling on and on. :D

    ReplyDelete