Sunday, June 11, 2017

Life is a Beach

.

I sleep, and in that sleep I dream. 
A dream that stacks days of lifetimes 
Scattered like shells across  
The seemingly vast beach  
Of my existence. 
The pretty pebbles of childhood 
Riddled with veins of laughter and tears. 
A tangled weir of driftwood  
All roots and polished branches 
Drifted in from someone else's shore. 
I wonder how it came here. . . 
Lover's shells, pearlescent spirals. 
Their gleaming chambers glow 
And echo the roar and murmur  
Of the waves that break all round. 
Shorebirds dance in the sparkling foam 
Knit up of remembered laughter and 
The scattered remain of some small creatures, 
Lost and forgotten plans or unmet aspirations. 
Victims of an unfortunate shift of the tide. 
The breeze flirts with becoming a wind. 
Threatening to send my hat aloft, 
It carries a tang of salt, a sigh of memory, 
And yet a hint of promised tomorrows. 
I make my way across an arch of beach 
That fronts dunes anchored by sea grass. 
Fragile tracks that etch the sand  
Mark the paths of vanished creatures 
With better claim to this mythic space than I. 
Gulls stitch the sky, 
Raucously declaring a synthesis  
Of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. 
I chance upon an unexpected pine 
Whose twisted trunk and wind-sculpted 
Shadow o'er reach all three. 
Beneath its sheltering boughs 
Silken sand invites me to recline 
So I stretch out, again to sleep, 
Perchance, once more, to dream. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment