Friday, August 17, 2018

Body Talk


.
Maybe 4:30, maybe 2:30. Definitely AM.  Thunderstorm rolled through about an hour ago. Light around the windows. Could be the rosy-fingered dawn, the moon, or a streetlight.  Anyhow, .  .  .   

Body: Yo, Roberto! You awake? 

Me: Go away. 

Body: Come on guy, rise and shine! 

Me: Go away. 

Body: Time to get cracking.  It’s you and me, buddy. One for both or whatever.

Me: Do you know how much I hate you? 

Body:  Is that any way to talk, after all I’ve done for you?

Me: All you have done for me!? 

Body: Well, you’ve lost ten pounds right? How long have you been trying to do that?

Me: This is not exactly the diet I had in mind! 

Body: And you're feeling better right? 

Me: Of course, I’m feeling better. That’s what is supposed to happen when you do time in the hospital. You just lay there with wide-spectrum antibiotics dripping into your arm. I was just bored and groggy. No big victory for you.

Body: Picky, picky. But, hey!  Remember the sixties? California? Good times then, dude! 

Me: I don’t mean to seem ungrateful - but that was more than half a century ago! 

Body: True, but we still some great times not that long ago. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge!

Me: How about we step off memory lane for a moment and focus on the last decade? Multiple myeloma, back surgery, two stem cell transplants, and now this dollop of pneumonia?  And speaking of the pneumonia, what was with those dreams?! I mean people I never knew and places I have never seen before! 

Body: Yeah, well, technically, dreams are not part of my portfolio. 

Me: What? 

Body: Your dreams are actually designed and implemented by a multi-member existential panel whose membership is somewhat fluid . . . 

Me: WHAT!? 

Body: Oops. I really shouldn’t say any more . . . Probably said too much all ready. 

Me: No, wait. Tell me more about this dream panel. 

Body: Listen, you should probably rest. I’m tired, and if I’m tired - hey, hey, you’re tired. Am I right, or am I right? I’ll stop back later. 

Me: No, hold on a second, what do you mean you’ve said to much already? 

Body: Really tired man, we’ll talk more when you’re feeling better .  .  . 

Me: No, no, no, no, let’s talk now. A dream panel with flexible membership? What the heck does that mean?

Body: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

Me: I really do hate you right now! 

Body: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

No comments:

Post a Comment