Tuesday, July 23, 2019

A Bench by the Side of the Road


.
Just a bench without plaque or notation  
Of events either stirring or grand.
Nor is it a rough-hewn construction  
Inclining a traveler to stand. 
It rests at the point of conjunction  
Of many a well-traveled path, 
But gives no real hint of direction  
Of what future should follow the past. 
So I sit in the twilight of evening 
Watching fireflies welcome the night, 
And suppose that I ought to be leaving 
But somehow it just seems to be right 
To linger awhile while believing  
That one path or another will tempt me 
As the moon fills the sky with her light. 
‘Til then I will try to stay peaceful, 
While enjoying this lack of a load, 
And keep time with the call of the crickets 
As I rest on this bench by the road. 
.

3 comments: