Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The World Behind My Eyelids

.
They spool out like reels 
From a summer film festival.
Comedies, romances, mysteries
Thrillers, adventures, docudramas,
And the occasional campy horror flick.
They startle me awake.
I catch my breath.
Pulse settles back
To what passes for normal,
And the sights and sounds recede.

When, in nap, or night, or meditation 
They flicker once again to life,
These Hi-Def vistas behind my eyelids,
I know that they are not “real.”

But then again what is?

When starring in these private movies,
I laugh, I cry, I bleed,
I rejoice, I despair 
Occasionally with people
That I recognize -
Other times with apparent strangers
Who seem nonetheless 
Somehow intimate.

What is the searing difference,
I ask, between these worlds?

One is dominated by trivial realities.

Should I drive that far? 
Should I cut my hair?
Was the meeting today? 
Do I really care?

The other swaps mundane for sublime.

Can I fly that high? 
Swim that far? 
Scale that mountain?
Touch that star?

Both worlds are constructed
In the mystery of my mind.
A shifting set of stimuli,
The neurons do engage,
To swirl mind and body
From ecstasy to rage,
From lethargy to energy,
From love through ennui 
The nerve ends do determine 
Each clear reality.

So which one is the real reel?
Do I awake from each
Convinced the world 
Around me marks the center of my life.
While other “me-s” awaken,
In another place and time
Convinced that they’re 
The “real deal” 
And the world just dreamed

Is mine? 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment