Thursday, February 13, 2020

To Emily Dickinson


You kept your poems  
Secreted in a drawer. 
Of a desk, or a dresser. 
I forget which I was taught. 
It was a very long time ago. 
The classroom was warm, 
I was drowsy, the window alluring. 
But I do remember being told, 
“She kept her poems in a drawer.” 
I do not think I dreamed it. 
But I never understood  
Why you would keep 
Your poems secreted  
In a drawer, desk or dresser. 
Until perhaps now. 
They were, I imagine, 
Poems to yourself. 
Desperate or simply brave 
Efforts to capture  
Those ephemeral callings 
From deep within  
Or unimaginably distant 
And anchor them  
With pen upon a page. 
Born in beauty 
Upon a second glance 
You gave in to  
Fear or reluctance. 
Perhaps they were 
Not good enough. 
And so you hid them, 
In a drawer of some type. 
Today we put them 
In a cloud. 
.

1 comment: