Sunday, September 5, 2021

Strange Dreams

.

It is probably because I am immersed in a reread of the Harry Potter books that I find myself thinking about the strange places to which dreams can take us. If you have read the series, perhaps many times, maybe alone or with your kids, you may recall the “pensieve.” This was a basin of sorts, usually stored in Dumbledore's closet, that could transport you into other times and places - into the memories of events. Sometimes your own, sometimes those stored in the minds of others. Anyhow, I have been drifting around in some hi-def dreams lately - amazing clarity. But unfortunately the increased resolution has done nothing to increase my ability to remember the damn things. Sometimes flashes do occur post dream: “Hey! That might have been so-and-so!” But not much certainty.

Still they have the feeling of being “real.” Sparkling. Intense. Perhaps those glittering little bits of alternate realities have greater appeal these days when the current “real world” seems awash in discord. So I find myself wandering around again considering the fascinating twists and turns of quantum mechanics. You see I do sincerely believe that the quantum mechanics notion of “many worlds” is on to something. Briefly, the quantum mechanics notion of many worlds asserts that every potential version of reality unfolds simultaneously in parallel universes. I know, I know - seems crazy, but not really any more bizarre than the end states proposed by any number of “traditional belief systems” that require an ever-expanding universe that can accommodate every soul who ever lived in a sort of “now we can all be friends,” existence, or an exclusive “only my people get in” gated-community approach to an afterlife. Neither of those worldviews get any screen time in my dreams or memories. But the idea of the quantum mechanics notion of many worlds seems an interesting way of approaching those dozing or dreaming altered states of consciousness in which I sometimes find myself.

It is interesting to consider all the billions and billions of worlds spiraling out in an infinite universe, yet I am really only interested in those that concern me. I mean what do I actually care about the billions of other versions of existence out there starring other players, right? But I am incredibly curious about all my “roads not taken” - those significant choices at moments in my life where I chose to do A, but could have just as easily done B, C, D, etc,.  So I wonder if my dreams, or the “editing” thereof that seems to intrude on my memories are some sort of psychic “wormholes” that let me peek down those roads not taken. What if I, as the survey I took in 5th grade said I should, became a forest ranger? Had married other than I did? How about that girl back in 1965 who also wanted to adopt “Jimmy” one of my “itsy-bittsy-skitsies” from the permanent treatment center in Northern California where we both worked? She was nice. Many worlds says I really did make all those choices and the various versions of my self is living those lives. And perhaps those other selves are peeking into mine through their dreams, as curious about the life I am living as I am about theirs.

So I wonder if there is any truth in that quantum possibility of viewing my other lives through my dreams? Is there any way to enhance or extend the experience? Anyway to remember the dreams? Anything to be learned from them? Anything that lets me slide down the many world’s wormholes that, however, avoids damaging or losing any of my remaining brain cells?

Enough. I must again to sleep. Perchance to dream.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment