Monday, November 22, 2021

A Raccoon on Hillsborough Street, 2nd ed.

 [I have mentioned before my envy of my sister’s memory. This is one of those times. I have been asked to find a poem previously published here on The Wall. I remember the incident quite clearly, however, the date and the title escape me. So rather than rail against my inability to recall those vital bits of information I have decided to track the poem down. The silver lining to this particular cloud is that I am rediscovering some golden oldies that I get to share with you again. So if I mark a post “2nd ed.” It means I have looked at the piece again and perhaps made some slight changes. The first few are circa 2004ish, so unless your memory is better than mine they may seem entirely new!]

A Raccoon on Hillsborough Street 2nd ed. circa 10.23.04
 
She was clearly more exasperated than frightened by my intrusion.  Pausing and peering at me, her entire demeanor snapped, “Yes? Is there a problem?”
 
I was certainly not going to dispute her right to the half-eaten apple cradled in an appendage far too clever to be called a paw.   I was simply surprised to see her, and a bit embarrassed to have blundered into her parlor unannounced.  However, upon further reflection it became apparent that we were on the back porch.  She would, no doubt, normally receive guests high up in the towering oak that rose just behind the privet hedge.  And that fact alone would strike me from the guest list.
 
I found it a deflating insight.  The oak is just one of many that punctuates this urban landscape with a parallel universe.  I was enchanted with the notion of an entire community of fur and feather, of chitin and complex eye; involved in intricate negotiations and interactions far more ancient and harmonic than our own.
 
Yet, I could hardly expect her to invite me in for a nightcap.  I was, after all, one of them.  One of those seemingly mindless creatures who lay waste the forest, drowns the grasses in concrete, and fills the meadow with huge, leafless burrows.  I was a danger in her world.  I was a car-driver, a coon-squasher, a tree-killer – one of the demons from beyond.
 
I did so want to lead her away from that perception; to point out how fond I was of the furry folk.  I longed to reveal how much joy I drew from her inquisitive face, busy hands and improbable ringed tail.  How could I share with her my envy of her fearless access to the canopy, her companionship with tree and sky?  Of the isolated comfort of a den set so apart from the paths of men?
 
But a door burst open down the street and a troop of students blustered out onto the bricks; voices raised, cell phones chirping, laughing their way into the night.  The lady took her leave, nimbly ascending branches to her privileged life above, while mundane stairs led me down to the world and work. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Reminded me a bit of The Thought Fox by Ted Hughes

    ReplyDelete