Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Breezes Through the Wormholes of My Mind


It would all be much easier if
I knew the where and when of it all.
I’m not quite sure which particular
Physicist to blame for these various
Theoretical conundrums that
Keep me up until the tiny hours.
Two in particular are bothersome.

First, wormholes, far less prosaic
Than their unfortunate moniker.
Wormholes occur when two
Wildly separate lumps
Of space-time inadvertently
Bump up against each other.
“Oops, beg your pardon.”
“Not at all. No harm done,”
But as they spin off
To wherever and whenever
A cosmic spiderweb clings
To both, a closet swiped
From Narnia allowing
One to magically transverse
Across their now unimaginable
Spaces in but a single step or two.

Second, “many worlds.”
For which, it seems,
Quantum mechanics
Are to blame.
And do quantum mechanics
Wear quantum overalls?
Unimportant.
Important is the notion
That we exist in many
Worlds - simultaneously.
In grade school I took
A “placement test.”
Things, no doubt, no longer
Given for some curricular
Concern or another.
Mine, however, declared
I was to be a forest ranger.
I affected one of those
Smokey the Bear hats
For a while.
Unimportant.
What is important is that
According to “many worlds”
I did, in one of the “many worlds”
Perhaps by stepping
Through a wormhole,
Become a forest ranger.
Just as in another world
I did marry the pretty
French girl I met in
Fifth grade in Vienna
And I did become a Broadway
Musical star with Streisand
And on and on and on and on
Across the “many worlds”
Promised in this Hogwartian
View of the universe.

My problem is that I,
Thankfully I guess,
Only in my dreams,
Have a bit of trouble
Keeping the various worlds
Neatly separated.
Oops, some blended
Sagas lurking here.
It is just that:

A. The dreamed realities
Seem quite as real as
The waking realities.
And my inability to
Re-enter and edit the
Last few dream scenes is
Incredibly frustrating, and

B. Looking back on some
Choices I have made in
My “real-real” world
Makes me wonder
What world was I really
In at that moment?
Is it too late to apologize?
If so, I hope that
In yet another world’s
Version of that moment
I made a kinder, more gentle,
More harmonious choice.

So you can see why I began
By saying:
It would all be much easier if
I knew the where and when of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment