Wednesday, August 28, 2024

L’Image Aumentare : Pearl No. 160

 OK, it's not really No. 160, it's more like 3 or 4, depending on how you are counting. The 160 refers to the new set of markers I mentioned in a previous post. They arrived, but really didn't live up to my expectations. First, about a third of them were greyscale obviously designed for folks who worked in pencil, a skill I neither have, nor aspire to. But, I did get the set at a half price sale, so still a pretty good deal. However, I realize that I should have paid more attention to myself when I talked about the variability of marker shades.

Let's take a quick look at Pearl as she is today:



It would be nice if I had been able to achieve all those colors with my new markers. Sigh. I discovered that to approach the hues I wanted, I had to haul out my old markers that I had foolishly packed away as "back-ups" and mix them together with the new set. In some cases literally "mix them," do an undercoat of one color and then top it off with another to either "tone down" or "pop up" the shade I was looking for.

So now I have this situation on my "palette table."



 
Certainly gives one a deeper respect for those artists from the old days who ground their own colors and mixed with egg or oil or whatever. So a tip of the hat, or marker, or whatever to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment