Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Diving

Diving

There is this feeling  
That the secrets of life’s  
Most meaningful moments 
Lie beneath the surface.  
So we must dive for them. 
It starts as a kind of shiver. 
A quick intake of breath. 
My hands tremble, 
Slightly in my youth, 
More as I’ve grown older. 
The feeling of something moving 
Just beyond my field of vision. 
Knowing I am in the presence 
Of mysteries, truth? wisdom? love? 
Attention is now imperative. 
A quiet slowing of respiration. 
I wait until it flashes 
Once more below me. 
And I fling myself down 
Into the shining waters. 
Arms outstretched, fingers spread. 
Sometimes it wriggles free 
Flashing off again beyond 
The pastel edges of consciousness. 
But other times, marvelous times, 
I burst up, gasping, to 
The sun-sparkled surface. 
Holding aloft my glittering prize. 
A poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment