Tuesday, November 3, 2020

It Has Always Been at Midnight

Or, Confessions of an Insomniac

Spring  forward, fall back
A game we have to play.
But it really doesn’t matter
Makes no difference anyway.
For it has always been at midnight
Quite precisely, more or less
When the real world grows quite hazy,
Some delights tinged with distress
’Cause I’m never really certain
Just where I ought to perch
Is the footing there quite stable?
Will my next step be a lurch
Sending me careening
Out there beyond the pale?
Where my insights all can fragment
And all past wisdom fail?
So I turn the pillow over -
Seeking for a cooler spot
Switch the sounds from trains to stormy.
Hide behind the rain and thunder.
And from what now?  I forgot.
Can the patter on my window
Bring the pleasing calm I seek?
Or send me out free-wheeling
Down some other psychic street?
So it goes, sometimes, till morning
When sunlight creeps back in
And I finally claim some solace,
Blanket tucked beneath my chin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment