Friday, October 30, 2020

The Unexpected Inhalation

If I could make 
It happen 
I would.
But I can’t.
So there you have it.
It does seem to occur 
Or perhaps “concurs”
In creative spaces.
When I am drawing, writing 
Or listening to music.
But it is not thematically 
Related to either the image
The notes or the words
But suddenly my mouth
Opens and a swift breath
Rushes in.
Inevitably I look around,
My eyes turn up and right.
That gaze of expectation,
Of anticipation.
But there is nothing there.
I wait for several seconds.
Knowing, believing, hoping
That something wonderful?
Well, at least insightful 
Will reveal itself.
Aren’t these the moments
From which inspirations
Are supposed to spring?
But apparently not this time.
The music plays on.
The paper requests my pen.
I fake a breath or two,
But whatever it was
It’s gone again
And I cannot call
It back.
Maybe next time.

1 comment: