Monday, December 21, 2020

Nightscape

.
[I am deep in the night’s little hours. 3:30ish. I default to sleep strategy 4,682. As I listen to my Naturescapes sound collection, I task myself with at least the opening line of a related poem. Tonight’s soundscape is the rumble of a train. Tonight’s poem I call Nightscape. Sleep well.]

I sometimes come to wonder
In the darkness of the night
How sound can paint a picture
Without benefit of light?

A freight train’s lonesome whistle
And the clatter of the rails
Drafts a clear horizon
Where painters’ efforts pale.

The empty fields rush through my mind,
As the rattle and the roar
Sweep all the world before them,
Places here, and then no more.

Perhaps a ghostly farm appears,
Caught by the passing train,
But on the lonely whistle moans
Through sheets of driving rain.

Then flashing images are smeared
Cross rocking window panes
Dancing to the thunder’s roar
As the mighty engines strain.

Yet all this bright creation
Within my conscience rose,
And truly was experienced
With eyes quite firmly closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment