Tuesday, June 14, 2022

They’ll Learn Much More

 I hear babies crying, I watch them grow.

They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know.
-Bob Thiele and George David Weiss

My own experience with these lyrics is hearing Louis Armstrong sing them over the visual carnage accompanying of the opening scenes of the searing Robin Williams, Forest Whitaker, movie Good Morning Vietnam.  For my generation it is a very, very emotional montage. I used to show the movie to my media criticism classes so have watched that scene many times over a couple of decades - in the company of 18 to 20 year-olds for whom the film increasingly became a history lesson. 

I would look out over their faces - some riveted, others bored - and wonder what they will be doing with the awesome opportunities that a university education would provide. There are times when it is easy to despair, what with global warming, NRA enabled school shootings, and the raw megalomania being revealed in Putin’s war on Ukraine and, shockingly, exposed in the reports stemming from various investigations into the Trump inspired January 6th riots in our own capital. 

However, recently I have been regaining some of my natural optimism as I forsake the “if it bleeds, it leads” bias of the most news programs on commercial networks and programs whose bottom line is, well, the bottom line. Instead I am paying more attention to documentaries that demonstrate how various collections of fresh-faced youngsters, removed not many years from those in my classroom, are rolling up their sleeves and reimagining, redesigning, and rebuilding this “third rock from the sun” in wonderful ways - if we; their parents and grandparents don’t trash it beyond redemption first.

For example, Elon Musk wrote a paper in 2013 conceptualizing a mode of transportation now commonly referred as the “hyper loop” which features people/product pods zipping around in enclosed tubes at speeds surpassing “bullet trains” and approaching those of jet aircraft. Then in a seemingly “un-Musklike” move he threw a white paper clarifying the idea out for public development, and sponsored a contest for the best designs. Hundreds of teams of young engineers, designers, and dreamers from all over the globe took up the challenge, resulting in several new start-ups building green, working prototypes of what could be a hugely significant evolution in transportation. 

The Hyperloop story is cause for optimism, not simply because of its potential impact on transportation and the immense knock on implications for the climate change impact on that traditionally “dirty” industry - think SUVs as the single most polluting vehicle in the world - but more importantly as a model for enabling and encouraging young, energetic students in all disciplines to focus on and pursue issues they simply have not have time to think about or encounter. Set a target and turn the amazing power of human thought and creativity loose!

I’m going to break with my normal Wall posts here and stick in another piece that I have been working on for awhile. It was designed to be a separate post but seems to fit nicely here as it could be one of those “unimaginable ideas” that the “amazing power of human thought and creativity” might address. So here it is:

My Marvelous Toy

There are any number of rabbit holes
Ripe for the tumbling down these days.
Dug by youthful techies 
Raised on science fiction,
A plethora of these
Hopeful Hogwarts wannabes 
Have jumped the requisite hoops
To claim labs of their very own.
At MIT, CERN, Google, Meta, and the like.
Not surprisingly these big-brained
All-but-babies have come 
To focus on the brain.
Or some artificial version of
Intelligence creativity artistry 
AI, AC, AA, AWhatever
They are the magicians of the impossible.
Intellectual descendants of those
Who built Steven Hawking’s awesome
Array of prosthetic devices that freed
Thought from his compromised body
To unimaginable rainbows of insight.
They enable the knitting of 
Shattered spines back through 
Silly-putty wired silicon so
Legs could again march about
To the myriad directions 
Of that maestro of intention
The brain.
But even as I read of 
Entrancing marvels ready made,
I cannot help but wonder
Will I live to see the day -
The month, the year, the decade
When the toy I most desire
Finally makes the 
“Name that Brain Game Hit Parade?”
The desire strikes most predictably 
When I suddenly find myself
Caught up in drawing a pattern -
Leaves, or dots, or swirls bright.
All that such and such 
Tedious but vital whatnot
When the brush needs a 
Sewing machine-like repetition.
Dot dot dot dot dot dot dot
Visible if you take your 6X
Magnifying glasses to a 
Carpet painted by Vermeer.
A sleeve stroked by Rembrandt.
And as my mind grows fuzzy
It occurs to me to wonder
What was Vermeer thinking 
As his brush went dip dot dot
Dip dot dot dip dot dot dip?
What was Rembrandt thinking
As his palette knife went
Scoop slap slap scoop slap slap?
What wasÉlisabeth Le Brun thinking
As her brushes went 
Dip soft stroke dip soft stroke dip?
What was Pollock thinking, ever?
What were any of them thinking
In those mindless meditative
Moments when planning is 
Replaced by artistic instinct
In the mind of a genius?
My toy with a marvelous 
Brain would tell us.
All we would need to do
Would be to capture a hi-rez
Image of any picture by anyone
From any place or time now
Floating around out in digital-land.
Free to be clicked upon for
The menu for “reveal thoughts.”
We could then choose
“Text” or “Talk” or “Other” or “Immerse”
And our device would select
The most appropriate modality
To reproduce whatever 
Had been going through 
The artist’s mind/brain/heart while
Creating the image we had chosen.
Now before falling victim to counting the
Unbelievably number of advances
Looming between my marvelous toy
And the experience I chose
Remember, time was when
Symbols required stone
Or clay or skins or paper or screens
When only birds 
And small dinosaurs flew
When we got electricity from lightning 
When phones where tethered to
Permanent cords
And could only reproduce sound.
When cars only ran on gasoline 
When you were only either male or female
When you got music from bones 
Or carved reeds, hollow skins
Or hand cranked record players
When you could have heard
A Nobel prize winning poet sing
“The times they are a’ hanging.”
When the prescient Bard scribbled 
There are more things in heaven and Earth, 
Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Right now I’m dreaming of my own
Marvelous Toy.

As you can probably tell, the old clock on the wall, or more accurately the clock here on my laptop has made its way into the tiny hours after midnight when my thoughts, while still seeming clear and rational to me, tend to make their way into the land of “What the Heck is He Talking About?” So I will bid you goodnight, and see what other dreams might creep into my philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment