Thursday, September 10, 2020

PPP: Sticking My Neck Out on The Loggia.

Often when we are very young, and then sometimes again as we become older, our relationship with sleep turns tenuous.  There are probably as many remedies for sleeplessness as there are people beset by the malady, and advocating for one strategy over another is not the purpose of this post. Rather I am going to stick my neck out by sharing with you the very first faint inklings of what may become a PPP image based on one of my own sleep-seeking meditations:

I imagine myself walking into the living room of the house I grew up in, from my earliest clear recollections until I went away to college. I move slowly around the room, counterclockwise - I don’t know why. But I move around the room trying to recall furnishings, colors, the views out the windows, everything as completely as possible. However, when I finally work my way around to the northwest corner of the room - again I don’t know why - I imagine a doorway, which was never there. I walk through the doorway and find myself on a lovely Italianate loggia.  As I wander along beneath the arches, I peek out at a variety of scenes, some remembered, some imagined. When I stop to examine the various vistas, calm seems to seep into me and, occasionally, I fall asleep. Mission accomplished.

My wife, Christine, knew of both my affection for loggias and architectural models, and so gifted me the lovely one pictured below. 


Loggia


Through Every Window

It is my intention to make the loggia the organizing piece in a PPP image - possibly a PPPP image because right now I am seeing it in perhaps four layers like my 2003 image, Through Every Window, above, which is, at 4 x 5 feet, the largest image I have ever created.

I call this post Sticking My Neck Out on the Loggia because, at the moment, all I have are several shots of the loggia and some ideas - I’m pretty sure the loggia itself will become the white spaces.  I should also note that there are 3 or 4 images ahead of the loggia in the PPP queue. But I thought that if I really wanted to share the process with you it would be fun to share the entire process with you, from these first very faint beginnings to, hopefully, the final image. So, watch this space - but don’t hold your breath!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment