Tuesday, September 1, 2020

The Harvest

.
I would make a life
Of harvesting
The shimmering moments.
Arising in the dew-drenched
Light of morning
I would weave a net
Of spider webs
To snare the notes
Of larksong and daybreak.
I would sweep the mist
Of leftover starlight
Into the tiny chalices
Of buttercups. 
And toast the rosy dawn.
I would trace the flow
Of daylight as it
Paints the afternoon,  
All golden and all new, 
Dancing down the hillside
Beside the flirtatious 
Invitation of the streams,
And the shadows of the forest.
I would stretch, arms akimbo
Eyes tight, absorbing 
The toasty warmth
Of sunlight and of life,
Motionless on the carpet
Of a fresh mown field.
There I would listen 
With my beating heart
To the unimaginable 
Cacophony of existence.
Wind sifting through leaves
Of every shade of green,
Flowers answering 
With the rest of the rainbow.
Racing a gentle rain
To the shelter of a bower
I would curl, safe beneath
The droplets drowsy drumming
Presaging evening song
That awaits behind the
Purple haze of twilight
And the rising of the moon.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment